Yokohama National University is recruiting those who want to enter its graduate schools as doctoral students in October 2022 or April 2023 under the Global Doctoral Program for Academic Career Support (GDACS), which is a doctoral program for faculty members of universities in emerging nations. The long-term objective of this program is to contribute to the improvement of the quality of education and research at partner and other institutions and to the promotion of joint research with YNU by providing opportunities for their faculty members and researchers to study abroad and earn a doctoral degree.
Graduate Schools and Programs Recruiting Students and Quota for Admission
(Second Round Application)
|Graduate School||Program||Quota for Admission|
|Graduate School of international Social Sciences※||Doctoral programs||Limited|
|Graduate School of Engineering Science|
|Graduate School of Environment and Information Sciences|
|Graduate School of Urban Innovation|
- ※For the International Ph.D. Program in Economics of the Department of Economics, only those who have applied to the program (Application period: October 12 – 31, 2021) can apply for GDACS. The Doctoral Program in Japanese Management of the Department of Business Administration and the Doctoral Program in Transnational Law and Policy of the Department of International Business Law do not admit students under GDACS as they currently recruit students through different admission procedures.
To be eligible, applicants must be, in principle, a faculty member or a researcher of the universities or research institutions in the emerging nations and meet all the following requirements:
- Having completed a master's program and earned a master's degree.
- Having demonstrated excellent academic achievement with a grade point average of 2.30 (out of 3.00) or above in a master’s program and being expected to maintain the equivalent level during their enrollment at YNU.
- Being proficient in Japanese or English language and meet one of the following conditions:
(1) Having passed N2 or N1 of the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) or have obtained an English language proficiency test score that is equivalent to CEFR level B2 or higher.
(2) Having been awarded a master’s degree from an institution where the medium of instruction was in Japanese or English.
(3) Judged by YNU, possessing a level of proficiency in either Japanese or English equivalent to that stated in (1).
- Intending to earn a doctoral degree within 36 months of their admission to YNU as a doctoral student.
- Having asked the academic advisor of their choice about research details, acceptance conditions and the like, and having obtained permission to apply and the Conditional Acceptance Form before submitting their application.
- Being guaranteed to return to their current institution after earning a doctoral degree at YNU, and being highly motivated to promote education and research collaboration between YNU and their institution.
- Check application qualification and conditions
With reference to the Application Guidelines and Academic Performance Entry Sheet, applicants must first check whether their grade point average is 2.30 (out of 3.00) or above in a master's program as well as whether they satisfy other conditions of eligibility.
- Find a prospective academic advisor
If applicants can confirm that they satisfy all the conditions, they must prepare the necessary documents and contact the prospective academic advisor of their choice, consult with him/her about their research details, acceptance conditions and the like, and obtain the Conditional Acceptance Form. The List of Faculty Members is useful to find a prospective academic advisor.
- Submit application documents
Applicants must submit the copies of Conditional Acceptance Form and the following application documents (1)–(9) by uploading them here between Monday, 9 May 2022 and Sunday, 15 May 2022 (Japanese Standard Time).
Note:Although the documents need not be originals at the time of application, the successful applicants must submit the originals, or the certified true copies issued by public institutions such as the university they graduated from (of those marked by * below) during the designated submission period.
- Application Form (Template format by Excel *) and Copy of passport (by PDF or JPEG)
- Field of Study and Research Plan [Research Proposal] (Template format by Word)
- Academic transcripts for all academic year of university attended (by PDF or JPEG *)
- Academic Performance Entry Sheet (Template format by Excel)
- Certificate of graduation or completion or degree certificate of the university attended (by PDF or JPEG *)
- Document that certifies that the applicant is ranked top 10% or 30% in the department of the graduate school attended (If any, by PDF or JPEG *)
- Official Letter of Recommendation from a high-ranking person of the institution that applicant belongs to (such as Dean or Director, PDF or JPEG *)
- Abstract of thesis (if any, PDF)
- Documents that demonstrate the linguistic ability of the applicant which meets one of the conditions (PDF or JPEG *)
Notice of Screening Results
Applicants will be notified of their results by email on Friday, 17 June, 2022. If they pass the screening, the “Certificate of Admission” and “Certificate of Exemption” will be issued to them after receiving the original application documents.
Application Fee, Admission Fee, Tuition Fee, and Scholarship
Applicants do not need to pay an application fee. Successful applicants are exempt from admission and tuition fees. (Note that the exemption of tuition fees may be cancelled if their academic performance is significantly poor after their admission (exceeding the standard period of study etc.)) Successful applicants will be awarded a monthly scholarship of 100,000 yen (estimated) up to the standard period of study. (Scholarship will be paid only for the months that YNU can confirm their residence in Japan.)
For details, please refer to the “Application Guidelines” carefully.
Where to Make Inquiries (All inquiries need to be made in Japanese or English.)
|YNU International Students Section
Global Promotion Division
Student Affairs and International Strategy Department
Yokohama National University
79-8 Tokiwadai, Hodogaya-ku, Yokohama 240-8501
E-mail： kokusai.shien（input @ here）ynu.ac.jp
（YNU International Student Section）