The following is an overview of the graduate student selection process at YNU. Please note that the majority of the classes, seminars and examinations at YNU, except the Graduate School of Engineering Science, are conducted in Japanese. There are, however, many faculty members who are fully proficient to lecture and provide academic supervision in English and other languages. You can find the fields of study that are available at YNU from here.For those who wish to study solely in English, please refer to the Degree Programs Offered in English.For those who wish to apply for scholarship programs and financial aid, click here.
To promote the acceptance of academically excellent international students and provide financial support after their admission to YNU, a new tuition waiver program has been established for privately financed international students who enter YNU in or after April 2020. For details please refer here. The application period and procedures of the relevant graduate school is described in the application guidelines.
Please check the application guidelines of the appropriate graduate school for the latest and detailed information.
|Graduate Schools||Degrees Conferred|
|Education||Master of Education|
|International Social Sciences||Master of Arts in Economics Master of Business Administration Master of Laws Master of International and Business Law Master of Philosophy|
|Engineering Science||Master of Science Master of Engineering|
|Environment and Information Sciences||Master of Environment Science Master of Engineering Master of Science Master of Information Science Master of Philosophy|
|Urban Innovation||Master of Engineering Master of Philosophy Master of Philosophy in Infrastructure Management|
|Innovative and Practical Studies||Master of Arts|
|Graduate Schools||Degrees Conferred|
|International Social Sciences||Doctor of Philosophy in Economics Doctor of Philosophy in Business Administration Doctor of Laws Doctor of International and Business Law Doctor of Philosophy|
|Engineering Science||Doctor of Science Doctor of Engineering|
|Environment and Information Sciences||Doctor of Environment Science Doctor of Engineering Doctor of Science Doctor of Information Science Doctor of Philosophy|
|Urban Innovation||Doctor of Engineering Doctor of Philosophy (in Engineering) Doctor of Philosophy|
Non-Japanese citizens who meet one of the following requirements are eligible.
1. Having obtained or being expected to obtain a bachelor’s degree by the time of admission.
2. Being recognized as having academic ability higher than or equivalent to that of those who have a bachelor’s degree.
1. Having obtained or being expected to obtain a master’s degree by the time of admission.
2. Being recognized as having academic ability higher than or equivalent to that of those who have a master’s degree.
The applicant must submit the following documents to the dean of the graduate school in which he or she wishes to study.
1. Prescribed application form.
2. Certificate of (expected) graduation from the last school attended.
3. Academic transcript from the last school attended.
4. Description of the research plan the applicant wishes to pursue.
5. Copy of the resident card or copy of passport.
6. Receipt for payment of the application fee.
7. Self-addressed stamped envelope.
8. Any other documents required by the graduate school concerned（such as Certificate of English language or Japanese language proficiency）.
※The Graduate School of International Social Sciences, the Graduate School of Engineering Science, and the Graduate School of Urban Innovation (Pre-arrival Admissions only) require applicants to apply via the Web Application system. Applicants may also need to submit supplemental materials by regular mail, depending on each program’s requirements.
※The graduate schools of science/technologies majors require applicants to find a suitable academic advisor and obtain his/her consent prior to making the application. You can find research fields and contact address of our faculty members on the “List of Faculty Members.”
※Application fee can be paid at convenience stores in Japan or by credit card.
Application Period, Examination Date, Screening method and Notice of Results
The application period, examination date, screening method, and notice of results vary according to graduate school. Please check the application guidelines of the appropriate graduate school for the latest and detailed information.