Application for 2025 intake (April/October) is open around April 2024, and the primary screening (documentary examination, written test and interview) is conducted around June by the local Japanese embassies. Those who passed the primary screening would be able to apply for issuing the “Letter of Provisional Acceptance” from the universities they wish to study at. They must contact the universities by the designated deadline: Friday, August 9, 2024 (Japan Standard Time). The universities judge whether the candidates are worth accepting or not, from their application documents. The candidates who successfully obtained the letter of acceptance are recommended to MEXT by the local Japanese embassy through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. MEXT then conducts a secondary screening and selects scholarship grantees among those applicants who have found recipient universities.

For details, please refer to this website.

How to Apply for the “Letter of Provisional Acceptance” (For those who passed the primary screening)

Note: Please note that we cannot screen your application nor answer your inquiries from August 12th to 19th, 2024 as the office will be closed for a summer vacation.

  1. Finding Academic Advisor
    After passing the primary screening conducted by the local Japanese Embassy, please look for suitable academic advisor(s) from the List of Faculty Members, and contact him/her to consult about your research details, acceptance conditions and the like, and obtain the consent to be your academic advisor. Please note that you cannot apply for the Letter of Provisional Acceptance from YNU without obtaining the consent in advance. (In case his/her e-mail address is not disclosed, ask the office of the graduate school he/she belongs by email to forward your message to him/her.)
    Note1) If you wish to be a regular student at the Graduate School of Education, you must be proficient in Japanese (a level equivalent to or higher than N2 of the Japanese-Language Proficiency Test) as its entrance examinations, classes, and internships are all conducted in Japanese. You can apply to be a research student at the graduate school if you are proficient in English. Also, you cannot, in principle, go on to the doctoral program at the graduate school.
    Note2)If you wish to apply for the Specialization in Architecture (Y-GSA), a master’s program in the Graduate School of Urban Innovation, please contact the Y-GSA Office (ygsa(atmark) in advance, and submit your portfolio.
  2. Apply for “Letter of Provisional Acceptance”
    After obtaining the consent from the academic advisor, fill out the form and upload the necessary documents as indicated below by Friday, August 9, 2024 (Japan Standard Time). If you do not receive a confirmation email from us within a week, please send an email to "kokuai.shien(atmark)".

    Necessary documents are:
    ●A copy of passing certificate of the primary screening issued by Japanese Embassy or Consulate General in your country
    ●Copies of following documents with the seal of Japanese Embassy or Consulate General:

    1. Application Form
    2. Field of Study and Research Program Plan
    3. Academic transcript for all academic year of university attended
    4. Certificate of graduation or degree certificate of the university attended
    5. Recommendation letter from the president/dean or the academic advisor at the current or last university attended
    6. Medical Certificate
    7. Abstracts of thesis (only if submitted to the diplomatic mission)
    8. Certificate of language proficiency (only if submitted to the diplomatic mission)
    9. Others (only if submitted to the diplomatic mission)
  3. Notification of the Result
    It will take about two weeks on average to examine your application and make the judgment at the graduate school. Please ask your local Japanese Embassy about the deadline for submission of the Letter of Acceptance. Be sure to apply for the letter in plenty of time, considering the deadline set by the local Japanese embassies. The result will be notified by the International Students Section by email, together with a scanned copy of the Letter of Provisional Acceptance if your application is accepted.

    Note: if you wish to enter YNU as a regular student, you must pass an entrance exam conducted by each graduate school. For more details, please contact the office of the graduate school.
Contact YNU International Students Section
Global Promotion Division
Student Affairs and International Strategy Department
Yokohama National University
79-8 Tokiwadai, Hodogaya-ku, Yokohama 240-8501
E-mail : kokusai.shien(atmark)