Guideline for how to search for rental properties and how to live there

Important notes

At the time of making an agreement and of moving in

(1) Someone as guarantor is required. In case you cannot find any appropriate persons as guarantor in Japan, the official guarantee companies will be your guarantor.
(2) Figure out how much you are supposed to pay for deposit, key money, agentʼs commission, rent, common service charges, equipment and so on.
(3) Check the condition of the property carefully at the time of moving in. You should let the landlord know if you are aware of any stains or malfunction of the facilities.
(4) Visit to greet your neighbors within a couple of days after move-in and let them know that you are the new neighbors. It is important for you to communicate well with your neighbors and landlord.
(5) Contact the utility companies such as electricity, water, landline phone (if necessary) and so on to start their services.
(6) Keep the contact details of your landlord and your guarantor. You should know when, where and how to dispose garbage.
(7) Read the lease agreement carefully (whether or not you are allowed to keep any pets, to put nails in a wall and so on).

At the time of moving out from the property

(1) Let your landlord know one or two months earlier if you will terminate the lease contract.
(2) Contact electricity, gas and water companies to terminate their services. Submit both YNU and the ward office the address change notice.
(3) Clean up the property as it used to be. Leave none of your belongings in the property.
(4) Return the keys to the landlords.
(5) Deposit may be refunded by your landlord. Settle default of rent or unpaid bills if any.

Basic rules to follow during the contract period

(1) Only the persons under the lease agreement are allowed to live in the property.
(2) Do not bother your neighbors by making noise.
(3) Let your landlord know when you are away for a while for holiday or for home leave.
(4) Pay the rent before the due date of each month.
(5) Dispose garbage in the requested date and manner. (See appendix for details.)
(6) Pay utility bills before the due date of each month. The services might be terminated in case of delay of payment.

Choices of rental properties for international students

YNUʼs International Students Dormitories

You can contact the Student Support Division for the information regarding the dormitories. Each dormitory seeks for applicants irregulary, so you should keep an eye on the website.

※This information will be provided twice a year – in January/February for move-in in April, and July for move-in in October – on the website of the Student Support Division.

Name of Residence (Dormitory) Time to University No. of Rooms Move-in Period Length of Occupancy Rent Maintenance Fee Room Size
Minesawa International Student Dormitory
(Minezawa-cho, Hodogaya-ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa Prefecture)
5 minutes on foot 110 for international students April and October
(by lottery)
Up to 2 years Single room: ¥5,700 ¥5,130 12 ㎡
International Student House
(Ooka, Minami-ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa Prefecture)
Approximately 50 minutes by subway 148 April and October
(by lottery)
Up to 2 years Single room: ¥5,900
Double room: ¥9,500
Family room: ¥11,900
16 ㎡
33 ㎡
42 ㎡
Ooka International Residence
(Ooka, Minami-ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa Prefecture)
Approximately 50 minutes by subway 252 Whenever rooms are available Up to the number of years of study Single room (1R): ¥33,000
Married Couple room: ¥60,000
12 ㎡
28 ㎡
Tokiwadai International Residence
(Tokiwadai, Hodogaya-ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa Prefecture)
Close to the West Gate of the Campus 278 Whenever rooms are available Up to the number of years of study Shared Units: ¥32,500
Private Type rooms: ¥43,500
8 ㎡
(Sharing part:24㎡)
16 ㎡

Yokohama International Student House (YISH)

The city of Yokohama provides housing in Yokohama International Student House (Tsurumi Ward, Yokohama) for full-time undergraduate and graduate students of universities within the city of Yokohama. There are some 95 single rooms and 10 family rooms, and the maximum length of residence is one year. (Annual extension is available in certain cases.)

Residents are selected by Yokohama City through a document screening and new residents are admitted only once a year, in April. For more details, please refer to the YISH and Student Support Division websites.

Company Dormitories

Private corporations have set aside rooms in their employee dormitories for housing international students. The Corporate Friendship Network for International Students enables international students to stay in company dormitories, thereby providing them with stable housing and financial assistance while at the same time furthering mutual understanding through daily interaction between employees and students.

There is are not a fixed number of company dormitory rooms offered to YNU. Rather, YNU receives requests to recommend applicants as rooms become available. Vacancies will be posted on the bulletin board and Student Support Division website.

Only students studying without scholarships are eligible to apply. Also, there are certain restrictions set by the companies.

Private Apartments

Students must take into consideration the various difficulties and great expense that will be involved in finding a family accommodation in Japan. Therefore, if you who want to accompany your families, you are strongly advised to come alone first and let them come after you have found a suitable accommodation.

Organization to Support International Students

NPO Kanagawa Housing Support Center is a volunteer organization to help international students to find suitable rental properties. They provide you with assistance in multi languages. (Chinese, Korean, Spanish, Portuguese, English, Nepali, Tagalog, Vietnamese and Thai)

Kanagawa Housing Support Center
2F Yokohama YMCA, 1-7, Tokiwa-cho, Naka-ku, Yokohama
Email: Tel: 045-228-1752

Advice for searching for rental properties

Advice from the senior international students

1. When you visit the local real estate agencies, you had better wear neat clothes for a good impression.
2. If you feel your Japanese is insufficient, it is better for you to take someone with adequate Japanese proficiency with you.
3. You should tell your requirements clearly to the real estate agencies, such as:
・Rent, the area you want to live in, type (public or private apartment, a house), the nearest station
・Floor plan (single room, 1K, 1DK, 1LDK), washing room/bathroom, airconditioning/heater
・Can the property be shared with someone else? Are joint guarantors required? When is the property available to move in?
4. Have your requirements in detail. Try to get as much information as possible from websites or magazines in advance about average rent or the area you want to live in.